of course, for the month of our 'go green' challenge, using traditional cream cheese for this snack is not allowed, so i made a trip to trader joe's and found all the necessary ingredients in vegan form. there are only 3 ingredients for this quick lunch, snack, or appetizer!
you will need:
- large tomatoes [any number, depending how many sandwiches you plan to make]
- plain vegan cream cheese [or regular if you are non-veg]
- multigrain or rye bread, darker bread tastes better [make sure it's vegan, look for the V symbol]
- sea salt + pepper, or other seasonings
- optional: red or any kind of onion on top
1. slice the bread to desired thickness, and the tomatoes to a similar thickness as the bread.
2. spread the cream cheese on the bread, using as much as you like.
3. place a tomato slice on top, i usually cut mine in half so it fits!
4. sprinkle a generous amount of salt + pepper, and add red onion if you'd like for extra flavor!
all the ingredients i used for this can be found at trader joe's, but you can always use non-vegan ingredients as well! i grew up eating the non-vegan version and i find these to taste nearly the exact same! other variations of this open-faced sandwich can be made by replacing the tomato with radishes or cucumber.
experiment with new toppings and seasonings, try it vegan, and let me know what you think!
x's + o's