-->

Thursday, April 24, 2014

hey bookworms!

i love reading. i don't start and finish books as often as i should, but i have a few that have become favorites, and i decided to share them with you all! i've decided to pick 3 of my favorite novels, devotional/self help, and health books to show a variety of my favorite reads!

Processed with VSCOcam with a6 preset

novels --
1 // Wildflower Hill by Kimberley Freeman
2 // The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
3 // The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

most of the novels i enjoy are love stories to some extent, also many of my favorite books have been made into movies. i have to read the book before seeing the movie, it's just not the same the other way around! i also love stories that include history or take place in the past, i am not a huge sci-fi person! all of these stories have a bit of history, a bit of love, and truly take you away from every day life.
Processed with VSCOcam with a6 preset

devotional + self help--
1 // Mirror Mirror by Dianne Wilson
2 // Wilderness Skills For Women by Marian Jordan
3 // Come Away My Beloved by Frances J. Roberts

these books have been so much help for me throughout the last year. mirror mirror talks about how we view ourselves and our self esteem, and i recommend every girl and woman to read it! i talked about wilderness skills for women before, but it's truly been a life saver to me, using the bible as a guide to surviving heartbreak and life meltdowns. come away my beloved was a gift from chelsea when i was going through some of my hardest times, and i am forever thankful for it [and her!]
Processed with VSCOcam with a6 preset

health--
1 // The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Synder
2 // The Complete Master Cleanse by Tom Woloshyn
3 // Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin

i love learning about anything to improve my health. not to say i follow what i learn strictly all the time, but i love having the knowledge and trying to apply it to my life when i can. the beauty detox solution isn't a diet, but a lifestyle, incorporating a mostly vegan lifestyle and green-smoothies, plus focusing on how the order in which we eat our foods can dramatically improve or ruin our health! i have done the complete master cleanse 3 or 4 times now, and every time i get absolutely sick of the maple syrup lemonade, but feel great and love the results! skinny bitch was the first book i read introducing me to being vegan and vegetarian. it has so much helpful information and recipes!
Processed with VSCOcam with a6 preset
what are some of your favorite books? i need suggestions.
i want to be inspired to read more and get lost in stories i enjoy,
not just read 75% of them and forget!
Processed with VSCOcam with a6 preset

x's + o's
kaitlin elaine

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you'd like Mary Stewart's "The Moonspinners" such a lovely book. (There's also a movie but I heard it was horrendous, but the book is one of my favorites) Have you read "Guernsey Litarary and Potato Peel Pie Society"?.. I did the audio-book version as the book's in letter form it was a little easier for me to follow and I could listen to it on my way to work (laughing and crying the whole way!)
    hope these are helpful tips. i've recently become addicted to goodreads.com for new suggestions!
    I just started following you, love the dynamic duo! thanks for sharing your creative energy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding novels, my advice is to read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. This is the book I read in 7th grade and then read it last year again- and I got the completely different perspective of it. It's a love story and a family story and it's 10 times better than the movie, that came out last year. And if you read it please let me know, as I'd be interested to see your thoughts on Anna, as people always have different views on wether they judge her or have sympathy for her.

    P.S. I absolutely loved the time traveler's wife :)

    Sonya
    http://foreverornot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good suggestions! I'm currently reading "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt (it's a long one but so good so far) and I'm going start "The Flamethrowers" by Rachel Kushner next.

    - sarah

    ,

    ReplyDelete